Remember our previous blog post about the best New Year’s resolutions for expats? InterNations provides a fun way of actually sticking to some of them.
After we successfully organized a themed “Celebrate Your InterNations Community” month in summer 2014, we’ve decided to kick off 2015 with a similar series of events and activities: “Welcome 2015 – Start Your New Year with InterNations!”
Apart from welcoming a new year, we do have another good reason to celebrate: By now, we have over 1.4 million InterNations members in nearly 400 cities all over the globe. Our motto events and activities should offer you ample opportunity for keeping New Year’s resolution #3 from our list ─ meet new people!
What our InterNations Ambassadors and Group Consuls have planned for you, though, could also help you to stick to a few more of those pesky resolutions:
• Are you eager to improve your language skills? In Oslo, our Speak Norwegian group has organized a 24-hour fun cruise from Fredrikshavn, with plenty of time to brush up your Norwegian vocabulary offshore.
The Cairo Conversation Club, on the other hand, provides a somewhat more low-key setting for an Arabic-British cultural and language exchange.
• If you’d rather be more active and explore the great outdoors, our Toulouse Travel Club has a special treat in store. They are looking forward to their New Year’s ski trip to the French Pyrenees. Those who aren’t that fond of skiing can still enjoy a snowshoe tour, a bit of ice-skating, or a relaxing day at the spa.
Or, if you want to prove really tough, check out what the Helsinki City & Outdoors Group, as well as the InterNations RAK Outdoor Adventures Group, has scheduled: There’s nothing like a bit of ice swimming or a nice hike through the desert to get the blood pumping!
• All that outdoorsy athleticism isn’t quite your thing? Then join our bookworms in Cambridge or Brussels to cross “read more” off your to-do list for 2015. Our local book clubs will be discussing The Island by Victoria Hislop and Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northrup or Graeme Simsion’s The Rosie Project, respectively.
• Our Zurich Art Lovers Group will also expand your cultural horizons and encourage you to take a broader view of the world. Together, they will visit the exhibition “Logical Emotion”, dedicated to cutting-edge contemporary art from Japan.
• Of course, our regular InterNations Events, too, offer you lots of opportunities to begin the New Year in style: The Sofia Community, for example, is going to explore a brand-new venue in town, while InterNations Augsburg is hosting a “Nerds in the New Year” party for 2015 fun times. And for a “make a wish for 2015” prize draw, just join our InterNations Event in Manchester!
• Or maybe you’re among those people who stubbornly keep boycotting New Year’s resolutions? Exercise more? Stop drinking alcohol? Eat only healthy food? No, thank you!
In this case, one of our London Activity Groups has just the right kind of gathering for you: Welcome 2015 with Pizza. No fuss, no athletic feats, just one of the best authentic Neapolitan pizza places in London. Cheers!
For more themed events and activities, check the InterNations Event Calendar and keep your eyes open for the “Welcome 2015” logo. Have a great start into the New Year!
(Image credit: iStockphoto.com)